Mom’s Best Mashed Potato Pie, known as Gatto di Patate, is basically a Neapolitan potato pie recipe made with simple ingredients such as mashed potatoes, eggs, mozzarella, parmigiana and pecorino cheeses, butter, milk and ham. A delicious recipe for those who love a great potato pie!
Ok, this is not low in calories. However, it’s sooooo delicious and creamy–who cares! Baked with pieces of cured ham and melted mozzarella mixed with mashed potatoes in a pie form or as a casserole, your family and friends will be eating and going back for more!
The taste and texture of this baked potato pie is so light and creamy with a crispy crust on top! Mmmm! It is very similar to a potato croquette, but without the frying! Omit the ham inside and it becomes a vegetarian version.
Today, this is still one of our favorite dishes. Everyone loves mom’s potato pie! Even the kids! We usually make this “Gatto” for gatherings with family and friends and it goes very quickly! Even on a smaller scale, it’s a great recipe to whip up as an easy dish using your leftover mashed potatoes from the night before.
Plus, this makes a wonderful side dish for the holidays too! Enjoy!
Here’s are a few Tips: To get a creamy mixture from the potatoes when mashed, use an immersion hand-stick blender or a hand mixer. If you don’t have one, we highly recommend using either one to blend the potatoes into a smooth and creamy texture. Then continue with the recipe. Also, you can divide the potato mixture into 2 smaller foil trays, bake them, then freeze the trays for future dinners. When you need one, just take a tray out in the morning, allow it to defrost on the counter. When you get home from work, reheat in oven uncovered for 30 minutes, or until it’s well heated through.
Mom’s Best Mashed Potato Pie
- 5 lbs. Idaho potatoes – peeled then chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced Ham – chopped
- 1 (16oz) Mozzarella – chopped (you may use low-fat)
- 4 large whole eggs – lightly beaten
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese – grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese – grated
- 1 cup of 1% low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 stick butter – salted (we used Smart Balance Butter)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs or GF bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- NO salt
1. Peel and chop potatoes. In a large pot of boiling water, add the potatoes and boil for about 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are soften. Drain in a colander. Place potatoes back into the pot.
2. Add the butter and mash the potatoes until well mashed.
Using an immersion hand-stick blender, or an electric hand mixer, and beat the potatoes to a smooth and creamy texture for about 2 minutes. Stir in chopped mozzarella, milk, eggs, ham, and parsley.
Using a large spoon to mix well. Add the grated cheese and fresh ground pepper. Mix well again.
3. Using an 16-inch rectangular deep casserole pan, ceramic or stainless steel. Butter the bottom and sides of the pan. Scatter 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and shake the pan until entire surface is covered with bread crumbs.
4. Pour the mashed potato mixture and spread even in the pan. Scatter some chopped pieces of butter on top. Scatter the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees. Uncovered, for one hour, or until the top is golden brown.
Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into square pieces.
Serves 8 to 12