Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner
Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner (+video) is gluten-free and made in one pan with chicken breasts that are smothered with a savory garlic mushroom sauce. An easy weeknight meal, and elegant enough to serve guests ...and it’s delicious! This savory skillet chicken mushroom dinner makes a low-carb, and satisfying meal that’s ready in 30 minutes. Perfect!
Our Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner…
Succulent and tender chicken breasts are sautéed and smothered in an aromatic mushroom sauce, making this a delicious dinner that’s easy enough for weeknights and elegant for guests.
Like most of our skillet dinners, this one is easy to pull off.
As you know, we adore skillet dinners like our mom’s best chicken piccata, chicken with dijon wine cream sauce, and chicken tenders smothered in lemon and parsley.
Be sure to try those recipes. They are all easy and satisfying!
Flavorful Mushroom Sauce…
- Our mushroom sauce is very light and flavorful.
- The cream sauce is not your average heavy cream-based one.
- Instead, it is a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs, 2 kinds of grated cheeses, lots of minced garlic and onions, butter, and some light cream.
- Simmered with chicken breasts to finish them off, makes this meal truly exceptional.
What’s great about this chicken and mushroom dinner is that you can customize the dish to your liking.
Ingredients Needed for our Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner…
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – sliced in halves
- garlic – about 4 cloves of garlic
- onion – 1/2 of a large onion
- herbs – fresh parsley and fresh basil
- seasonings – salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes
- grated cheeses – parmesan and pecorino cheese
- extra virgin olive oil – and some butter
- white wine – to deglaze the pan and flavor the veggies
- half and half – some light cream added for the sauce
Questions & Answers…
1. How to prepare chicken breasts?
- For this recipe, we prefer to buy boneless and skinless breasts. Then slice the chicken breasts horizontally to create thinner chicken breasts, like cutlets.
- This will speed up the cooking process and ensure the chicken is fully cooked. Plus, it will give you additional servings.
2. What kind of mushrooms are best for this recipe?
- The best mushrooms are the white button mushrooms for this recipe. Why? Well, because they are the “most popular” mushrooms and can be easily found in any supermarket.
*QUICK NOTE: We prefer the “already” sliced ones to help speed up the prep work.
3. How to prepare and clean mushrooms?
- We tend to use what we can find on the shelves of supermarkets, and it’s usually the most common ones, white button mushrooms.
- Whether you purchase the mushrooms “whole” or “sliced” they will need to be rinsed thoroughly (and even a few times) to rid of any soil.
- Then allow them to drain in a colander before cooking them.
4. How to get the best flavor with our skillet chicken mushroom dinner?
- Like most skillet recipes, we need to build the flavors. Each step is important to get the most flavor and aromatics from each ingredient.
5. Can we double this recipe?
- Yes, you can easily double the portions and increase the amount of sauce. It’s best to saute the chicken in batches, then the mushrooms, and finally, combine everything.
- Keep in mind, that you will need a large and deep skillet for additional chicken breasts and sauce.
6. What can we substitute for the light cream?
- You may use heavy cream.
- Don’t have heavy cream? Simply melt 1/4 cup of unsalted butter and slowly whisk in 3/4 cup of whole milk. This would be equivalent to 1 cup of heavy cream.
7. What if we cannot consume half & half or heavy cream?
- You can make a vegan mix of olive oil and soy milk, which can mimic the function of heavy cream in sauces.
Ideas for delicious sides to serve…
Serve our chicken and mushroom dinner with any of these favorite sides to help soak up the flavorful sauce, making this meal exquisite!
- best creamy mashed potatoes
- easy sauteed broccolini
- creamy mashed cauliflower
- steamed rice
- sauteed green beans with onions
- oven-steak fries restaurant style
Watch Our Video! How to Make our “Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner” (step-by-step!)
Additional Ideas for Chicken Dinners… try these:
- Chicken Tenders Skillet Dinner
- Tuscan Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu)
- Lemon Chicken Sheet-Pan Dinner
- Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese
- Crispy Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Skillet Chicken Mushroom Dinner
Chicken Garlic Mushroom Dinner is made in one skillet with chicken breasts sautéed and smothered with a savory garlic mushroom sauce. Delicious tasting in every bite, easy to make, and dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
- 1.25 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sliced in halves)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & fresh cracked black pepper, to season the chicken
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 4 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1/2 of a large onion ( 1 heaping cup)- finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 3 Tbsp. of butter
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 2 (10-ounces each) baskets of white button mushrooms - sliced, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup of half & half cream
- extra chopped parsley, as garnish
1. Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Turn on moderate heat. Season the chicken with some salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Add the chicken to the skillet and sauté the chicken for about 4 to 6 minutes per side, and until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set them on a plate nearby.
2. In the same skillet, add the chopped garlic, onion, butter, and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Stir the mixture and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes, to fragrant and softened the mixture. Then toss in the fresh parsley and fresh basil, and give them a good stir.
3. Next, pour in the white wine, and stir the mixture to deglaze the pan. Simmer for about 1 minute.
4. Add the mushrooms and simmer the mushrooms until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the mushrooms with salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
5. Then add back the chicken to the mushroom mixture. Add the pecorino, and parmesan cheeses, and stir in the half and half cream. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat and continue until the sauce has thickened slightly. Taste the sauce, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.
6. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley to garnish. Serve immediately. NOTE: Or you cover the skillet with a lid, keeping it warm until you are ready to serve.
Yields: 2 to 4 servings
This is a dinner you can easily make in advance, leave it covered on the stove, and then reheat it just before serving.
If you prefer additional sauce? You can add in some chicken broth, about 1/4 cup, and additional cream. Then simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 26.2gCarbohydrates: 10.6gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 4.3gProtein: 31.8g
Thanks for Pinning!
That’s it friends! If you have any questions, ask away…
Tried our Chicken Garlic Mushroom Dinner? Let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you. Your comments will help everyone who reads them.
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too.
For more delicious ideas and recipes…follow us on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and TWITTER.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
xo anna and liz