Best Butter Beans Recipe. Best Butter Beans Recipe ~ is one that simmers butter beans for 15 minutes with caramelized onions, celery, bacon and vegetable broth, giving them the soft, buttery texture with so much flavor; they are the BEST Butter Beans we ever had! Eat them alone or serve them as a side dish to compliment any meat or poultry. These butter beans are so good, they practically melt in your mouth!
My family loves butter beans and when I came across the fresh ones at the market, I had to buy them. These are smaller butter beans, the size of your thumb nail. They cook up pretty very easily. You can use frozen butter beans or even the canned ones with this recipe if you can’t find them fresh. Just give them a good rinse.
I served these butter beans as a side dish with our London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection! They make a lovely side dish to accompany any meat entree.
I prefer using Vidalia onions. First, you slowly caramelize Vidalia onions along with celery, creating a very sweet flavor, almost like sugar. They’re the key to flavoring the beans, so you really don’t need to add any sugar. Then simmer the beans with vegetable broth until mostly absorbed. Lean bacon along with the caramelized onions, celery and red pepper flakes give these butter beans their wonderful depth of flavor. They’re rich and savory with every bite!
Try them! Discover this little known treat as the Best Butter Beans Recipe!
Please don’t forget to PIN it! … and thanks for SHARING!
- 16-ounce fresh butter beans, rinsed well
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion - chopped
- 1 stalk of celery - sliced thinly
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 slices of lean bacon - trim off excess fat
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add in the chopped onions, and cook the onions until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and bacon to the onions and reduce heat to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes more, until the onions and celery caramelize, or turn golden brown.
- Add in the Butter Beans and crushed red pepper. Stir the butter beans and saute the beans for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and Cover with a lid.
- Simmer Butter Beans for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat. Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted by My Recipes and Southern Living.